What does equality and good relations mean?
Under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 public authorities are required to have due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity between:
- persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status and sexual orientation;
- men and women generally;
- persons with a disability and persons without; and
- persons with dependants and persons without.
The Act also requires public authorities to have regard to the promotion of good relations between persons of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
The Council is fully committed to the fulfilment of its Section 75 obligations and its equality scheme sets out how it proposes to do this.
Does CCMS consult on Equality Issues?
The Council consults widely with representative organisations and bodies. For updates on the current consultation documents please click on the documents below:
- Final Report on Screening of Policies and EQIA Timetable - October 2007
Does CCMS liase with Equality Organisations?
CCMS works in partnership with the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland and produces an annual report which is submitted to them. To access Progress Reports to the Equality Commission please click below:
- CCMS Equality report 2001 - 2002
- CCMS Equality report 2002 - 2003
- CCMS Equality report 2003 - 2004
- CCMS Equality report 2004 - 2005
- CCMS Equality report 2005 - 2006
- CCMS Equality report 2006 - 2007
The Council's on-going work in connection with its equality duties is contained in the following sections:
Further information on equality matters can be obtained from:
160 High Street
Tel: (028) 9042 6972